Ty Ford

Default Can you run Phantom Power to non-condenser mics?

In Article , Justin Ulysses
Morse wrote:
Oleg Kaizerman wrote:

No problem for dynamics, but be careful with ribbon mikes ,they don't love

it

This is a myth. Or at the worst, an exaggerated hypothetical
possibility.

ulysses

The ribbon issue has more to do with connecting the ribbon mic to the preamp
while the phantom power is ON. IF, while plugging the mic in, the pins touch
in an unfriendly manner, you can zap the ribbon.

Turn phantom power off, plug in ribbon mic, turn phantom on, and you should
be OK.

The Royer 122 ribbon, to the contrary, actually uses phantom power to power
a small amp in the mic.

There are also some unbalanced mics that will fry if you connect them to a
balanced mic input with phantom ON.

Now you know the rest of the story.

Regards,

Ty Ford

**Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on
http://www.jagunet.com/~tford