Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bret Ludwig

Default Amplifier question

DeserTBoB wrote:
On 25 May 2006 20:44:12 -0700, "Bret Ludwig"
wrote:

Maas-Rowe later used OEM McIntosh amps that are well worth having, and
many organ installations used Altec or Mc amplifiers also worth
keeping. snip

I have some of the Mass-Rowe 6550s ampsp with the WECO regulator
circuit. They have the same output tranny as the Leslie
amps...meaning cheeeeeeesy. A little better on distortion, around 6%
right before clipping. These are OK for musical instrument
applications, period.

Allen Organ for years used Webster 6L6s amps, then switched to their
own in-house 5881 and 6550 designs with Acrosound tranny set, which go
for big on fraudBay when they show up. Many were stolen from churches
with old analog Allens. They will keep pace with a Mc, any day.
Unfortunately, many old organ tuners/repairment, notorious for graft,
would steal the Allens and shove something like an RCA PA amp in its
place, making the organ sound horrid. Seen it happen myself more than
once.

I can't imagine Allen Organ parts would be that easy to fence! And
most Allens I have seen had transformers looking nothing like
Acrosounds.

Although I agree many ogan men are crooks, the big killer of AO tube
amps is...AO, who make and market their own solid state replacement amp
at a ridiculous price.

As for the Maas', the sum of the parts is worth more than the whole,
assuming the T-S 6550s test OK. I've heard of people trying to "fix"
them with Acrosounds and so on...too many people have too much time on
their hands.

Most oddball amps are horrid time and money sinks for the unwary,
especially anything built for organs, juke boxes or PA use. Gut them
out and save a lot of grief.