Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 Review Posted

On 8/18/2011 7:40 AM, James Perrett wrote:
Yes, in my opinion cutting costs so much that you can't
afford a pad switch seems silly but the vast majority of
customers don't know any better so the manufacturers get
away with cramming all the gain at one end.

The users discover that there's something they don't like
about it even though they don't know why. I regularly follow
the Mackie forum and I frequently seen complaints about the
gain control being very touchy up at the top end. Part of
this is the perceived need to record "hot" tracks, really,
so the waveform graphic doesn't look so wimpy. So they turn
up the gain and then have trouble controlling the level.
They won't be happy if you just tell them that they don't
have to worry about that and should leave more headroom.

I understand
that Audient managed to change the taper on the gain pots
for the Mico after user feedback on the initial batch

You can get closer to a reverse audio taper by putting a
properly chosen fixed resistor between the wiper and one end
of the pot. That wouldn't cost much.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff