Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] is offline

Default Thermal pads for transistor mounts

"Serge Auckland" wrote in message
"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
news
Am I right in my belief that putting heatsink compound on silicon pads
gives less thermal conductivity than pads alone?

Cheers,

Gareth.

My understanding is that thermal compound couples the bottom of the device
to the heatsink by filling-in the tiny interstices that would otherwise
exist between the slightly rough device and the slightly rough heatsink.
Consequently, heat is conducted better than it would be if the device were
clamped directly to the heatsink.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

A few years back Yamaha was having higher than normal failures of some amp
channels using the conductive rubber. As part of the repair the techs were
to add silicone grease to the outputs and rubber sheets.

Mark Z.