Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Default Subwoofer grill

Pete wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping, though, that if I have to raise it, that it would be not
much more than about a half an inch or so. Since the idea is to make my trunk more usable, I don't
want to have this acrylic sticking up several inches off the floor. Also, the higher I raise it,
the more stuff is going to find its way underneath it.

Mr.Lull, my favorite design was actually the one that left the _least_ open space.

In reality, most of the bass is going to go straight through the acrylic, holes
or not. Low frequencies tend to do that. The only clearance you really NEED to
have is enough so the cone doesn't hit the acrylic. You can determine how far
that is by gently pushing the cone up (pushing evenly on at least two sides, so
it stays straight), or by simply looking up the X-max spec.

I could maybe link to some images of my candidate designs if people are interesting in seeing them.

That would be cool!