Posted to rec.audio.high-end
John Stone John Stone is offline

Default under $100 cartridge for classical music?

On 9/23/15, 8:16 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 9:34:04 AM UTC-4, chip j wrote:
I have a Pioneer PL-12d turntable, and want a cartridge that does well
w/classical. I was told years ago that B&O was the best for classical,
but I can't pay that much anymore. Thanks for any advice!

--
chip j

Shure makes several cartridges that are as good as, or better than your
turntable for reasonable prices. This is not to suggest that you have a bad
TT, but to suggest that concept of diminishing returns applies.

B&O makes all sorts of eyewash, not very much otherwise.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

What exactly does "eyewash" mean? First of all, B & O stopped making
cartridges a long time ago. But when they did make them, they were
considered very good, contrary to what you might think. Most were used in
B&O tables, of course. But you could buy versions with adapters for standard
arms. It's all history now so the point is moot. But there is a company
called Soundsmith that has taken over manufacture of B & O compatible
cartridges using the same design principles and these are also highly rated.
For the OP, The arm on the PL12D looks to be pretty high mass as was the
practice with Japanese turntables of the day. That would dictate a cartridge
with medium compliance and tracking in the 2-3 gram range. Something like a
lower priced Audio Technica would fill the bill. Stay away from the light
tracking low mass types with this turntable.