Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default TRRS to 1/4inch adapter for headphones

On 3/31/2018 7:22 PM, wrote:
Hello Group, its been a while,
I bought a pair of Bose in ear headphones with a trrs 3.5mm Mini jack designed to use with Apple products, they sound amazing ! I would love to use them for recording headphones, I use a Focusrite 2i2 interface which has a standard 1/4 inch headphone socket, I tried using a regular 3.5mm to 1/4 stereo adapter but it didnt work correctly, I also tried a 3.5mm to mono 1/4 inch but that didnt work either, I cant find a trrs adapter, is there such a thing ? Thanks -rob

Here's my favorite, and so far, accurate reference to those pesky audio
connectors:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/u...d-audio-jacks/

Tip and first (closest to the tip) ring for left and right phones is
standard, but the difference between Apple and everybody else is that
Apple uses the second ring for the ground and the sleeve for the
microphone signal. Go figure.

You might be able to find an Apple-to-OMTP (Open Mobile Terminal Plan)
adapter, probably Amazon is the best place to find it. You'll have to
work harder at it than I did. First couple of likely subjects that I
found ended up in dead web pages.

Or, if this headset is a new purchase, return it and exchange it for the
more standard version. I'm sure Bose makes one for everyone else. Or, as
a last resort, buy a 1/4" TRS phone plug, cut off the TRRS plug, and
replace it with the plug you really need. But then you won't have use of
the microphone (if there is one) if you want to use those earphones with
a phone.