Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default stand alone cd burner?

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
I know of no DVD recorders that record audio on an
audio CD.

Obviously computer drives do, so standalones are a
possibility.

Furhtermore, a lot of stand-alone DVD recorders are
essentially special-purpose computers and do use
computer-style DVD drives, right down to the IDE
interface.

What is possible, and what is actually available
because there is a (perceived) market for it, are often
two different things though.

Agreed. At this point, the only difference would be a
small change to the software for the DVD recorder's
little computer.

Agreed, but I still don't know of any, do you?

No, and the absence of a CD burning feature is almost a mystery. I
personally think that the bizarre way that the burning of audio CDs is
legally licensed has something to do with it.

(not that I would ever use, or even suggest such a device
for transcribing vinyl myself)

Agreed.

Looking back at recent history, the people who promoted PCs and the Internet
have been able to grant themselves amazing freedom from legal constaints,
such as the ability to do retail sales without collection state sales tax.
Their other freedom has been the ability to characterize audio and video
production equipment that easily circumvents IP rights as being
"professional" and therefore exempt.