Posted to rec.audio.tech
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Banning Opto and Vlave equipment?

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message
.. .

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
Has the world gone mad? Is this an urban myth or are we soon to lose all
our nice comps and valve gear?

I've just heard that Europe is proposing to ban Cadmium based Opto
couplers, and further down the line to ban the use of Thermionic Valves
altogether (presumably only in new equipment).

**Seems unlikely to me. A valve (CRT) is still the most efficient type of
TV set available. All microwave ovens use thermionic valves, as do most
high frequency, high power devices.

I think the point is to make any hazadous parts recyclable or treatable -
In some part of the world, TV manufacturers take back their old TV's from
their customers and dispose of them properly. You can't just take a fridge
to a dump in the UK without paying for proper disposal either, same with car
tyres.

So what do you do with all these toxic old Valves?. Either you ban them
like lead solder and Cadmium or offer a safe disposal service. Or just
ignore the problem.

Gareth.