Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Banning Opto and Vlave equipment?

Gareth Magennis wrote:

Has the world gone mad? Is this an urban myth or are we soon to lose all our
nice comps and valve gear?

I've just heard that Europe is proposing to ban Cadmium based Opto couplers,

Cadmium was banned with the introduction of RoHS.

Sensible manufacturers will already have applied for an exemption (on the basis of no suitable alternative) years ago.

and further down the line to ban the use of Thermionic Valves altogether
(presumably only in new equipment).

Where did you get this idea from ?

Haven't had time to look at much but found this exemption proposal from Joe
Meek, who use Cadmium based sensors in most of their comps.

http://circa.europa.eu/Public/irc/en...c/_IT_1.0_&a=d

Looks to me like PMI Audio aren't very on the ball.
http://www1.silonex.com/announcements/RoHS_Letter.pdf

Graham