Posted to rec.audio.tech
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Banning Opto and Vlave equipment?

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
Has the world gone mad? Is this an urban myth or are we soon to lose all
our nice comps and valve gear?

I've just heard that Europe is proposing to ban Cadmium based Opto
couplers, and further down the line to ban the use of Thermionic Valves
altogether (presumably only in new equipment).

Haven't had time to look at much but found this exemption proposal from
Joe Meek, who use Cadmium based sensors in most of their comps.

http://circa.europa.eu/Public/irc/en...c/_IT_1.0_&a=d

Is this the end of civilisation as we know it?

Just the latest example of European Madness.
Perhaps induced by drinking water contaminated
with lead leached out of landfills full of solder. :-)

Soetimes I wonder how much lead from solder I have floating around in my
body. Then I forget what I was just thinking about .....