U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On 21 Jun 2004 12:58:21 -0700, orbb wrote:

This set-up is going to be in a converted garage apartment with a
small room and a smaller room, so I don't think I can go the big
console route (Oddly enough, you are the second person in a week who
recommended I get a Trident console). Even if cost and space weren't
an issue(and I don't think I could get it up the stairs), it's more
than what I need.

So you're stationary.

How handy are you? You like to play with computers?

Generally, you trade money for convenience.

Macs are more expensive, but they basically Just Work, whereas with a
WinXP solution you can spend MUCH less money, but may need some
tweaking.

Build or Buy is the same tradeoff.

If you're on a budget, take a look at Audacity for your recording. Free
as in Beer and free as in Open Source. Runs on most everything.

The thing to remember about a computer, any computer is that it's a
brick that runs software. I'm currently leaning towards Cakewalk Sonar,
which runs under XP, so I built a PC. I'm currently refreshing my
*COUGHS* years out of date engineering skills with Audacity.

Spend your money on a supported multitrack interface (for whatever
platform). Eventually, you'll reach the point where you can see the
possibilities of "features."

At that point, you have your shopping list.

Right now, I'm still longing for a razor blade, so my digital chops aren't
QUITE there yet.