gregs

Default Crown DC300 amp question

In article , (conrad) wrote:
The only thing actually that bothers me with it is a mild thump when
I turn it off.I don't expect it to malfucntion, but, because it's
around 30 years old you never know what could happen.My HT receiver
(Dolby Digital) is a consumer grade receiver but of the higher end
(DENON).. thanks guys.

Many things make some kind of noise when turned off. I have run through
4 DC-300A's in the last year. One I currently have hooked up, makes no thump
or click, but fades to distortion slowly. It seems to me most of the units
make some kind of click, but no major thumps in my mind. I have not analyzed
possible causes. There are of course some components that need replacement
in the 300A's. Mostly failure from heat. The DC300 uses different circuitry comparing the
DC-300A. If the thumping were abnornal, especially in one channel, a defective bypass
electrolytic could cause premature turn off.

I do have a fuse circuit I'm using with high powered amps and home speakers.
As an example, I was completing "fixing" a Crown PB-2 amp. The thing put out good
power under with a resistive power load. I hooked it up to some speakers, sounded good.
Was walking out of the room, heard a click, turned around and saw a fireworks display inside the
amp.I later found a blown fuse in my protective circuit, a 2 amp fuse.

greg