Posted to rec.audio.car
mike mike is offline

Default Radio Draws 1/4 AMP when OFF!! is this right?

Chad Wahls wrote:
"Matt Ion" wrote in message

mike wrote:

Where are you measuring this?

It's on the bench using a power supply.
The yellow backup wire draws essentially zero. The PS meter
has only 1mA resolution and I've not bothered to measure any more
precicely than ~zero mA.
The Red power wire is the one consuming 230mA.
Speakers are disconnected, output from PreOut to amplified speakers.
System draws 800mA or so average playing a mp3 CD.
230mA when switched off sounds excessive.

It does indeed...

I don't think you'll find anything particularly "better", unless your
specific deck actually has something wrong with it. The only thing it
needs to draw current for when off is the memory backup, and that will
be mostly the same for any deck (although personally, I don't know why
they even bother anymore - they solved the problem with shuttle decks
years ago).

Well, that was my quesiton. Is 1/4A when off typical?

I'd tend to think not... but then I've never measured a deck's idle
current.

But the red wire is switched so it's no problemo right?

Chad

Well...

The red wire is switched if you swtich it. I wasn't gonna.

But that's not the only issue. That much current drain when off, is a
serious design error. Yes, vendors sometimes do stupid things, but
you'd expect I'd not be the only one with an issue.

My "conclusion" is that mine's broke and current is going somewhere it
shouldn't...like
a leaky output amplifier. It's more likely to get worse than better.
It's a walmart special, so good luck getting parts.

I really like the radio. And it was cheap.

Looks like my options are down to piling test equipment into the truck
and driving way across town to test another one in the parking lot.
Be just my luck to get one with low drain but CD drive issues. It's
always something...

mike