Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Is flat frequency response desirable?

wrote in message

What do you mean by 'realism?'

As my ideal, I define realism as reproduced sound that is
ABX-indistinguishable from what I hear when I'm seated in my preferred seat
in the concert hall, with the same musicians, the same music, the same
performance.

Given that I'm a professional recording engineer who does hands-on live
recording, including on occasion having access to my preferred seating, I
think I'm very much more fortunate than the average audiophile when it comes
to experiencing and knowing what this is.

If it is real it follows that it sounds real.

That would be a truism. Not a lot of help in our quest for truth.

Listening to *certain* live music in
a reflection free chamber or environment would certainly
be less than ideal.

Right, but adding any kind of noise or distortion, tic, pop, rumble, echo,
bass boom, high frequency dulling, etc. would be very much less than ideal.

I don't know I would call it unpleasant.

I would not call it realism.

If it is played badly...

Played badly? Are you talking about musical artistry or sound reproduction?
There seems to be some confusion here...