Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default Also.....

My check engine light winks at me now and then, but never stays on more than
5 seconds or so. The car had just been tuned up and as I said before, it
runs perfectly (no missing, no loss of power, on stalling, no trouble
starting, and it idles very, very smoothly for a four banger).

I have to think that the check engine light MUST be related to this
electrical/voltage problem somehow as every other mechanical system checks
out fine.

Part of my wants to take it to a reputable automotive repair service and
have them diagnois the problem. But another part of me figures that as long
as it is running well and I can do work-arounds to get the stereo working,
why spend the money? Especially in light of the fact I have just paid this
other mechanic $500 to replace the distributor, cap, rotor, coil and give it
a full tune-up.

The problem is, I discovered through working with him he is kind of a jerk
and there is no sort of gaurentee. So if I take it back to him, it's not
likely (in fact I'm sure it's not likely) that he will give me any kind of
discount to help discover the problem with the ignition voltage. I think I
will just keep trying different things and doing more research (I need to
buy a Haines manual) and see if I can stumble onto the problem. I actually
enjoy this kind of car-detective work.

But after a two or three more weeks of this, if I have not found the problem
I will take it into my old tried and trusted car-repair shop.

You see, my BIG concern revolves around the fact that if this particular
electrical system is not working correctly, might it effect others down the
road? I don't want to have to find out the hard way.

Again, IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS, I AM ALL EARS AND WILL CERTAINLY TRY
IT IF I CAN.

Thanks,

Nick