Nousaine

Default Why shouldn't someone buy Bose?

(randyb) wrote:

That DIY challenge was pretty long ago-10 years-especially with
today's computers and software firmly in the hands of DIY. It would
be interesting to update that challenge (and where do you draw the
line with people like Linkwitz and his DIY designs)and I am sure there
are plenty of DIY over on the Madisound board ready to take up the
challenge if a magazine (Sound and Vision, Sensible Sound etc.) would
publish the results-I would certainly find it interesting.

Actually there was some pretty good modeling programs extant at that time
(SPEAK and SPEAK for Wijndows, and soem others.) The problem was access to
measurement equipment to validate drivers, design, construction and
performance.

It is true that with PRAXIS and other pc based gear availability of validation
equipment is much better. And some of the kits are much better.

On the other hand, basic speakers at any given price point from Paradigm and
PSB it's inconceivable that any amateur could make a better speaker for
anywhere near the price.

What the DIY producer can do .... is make cabinetry that is elegant, unique and
magnificently finished. There's nothing wrong with that but, after building,
measuring and listening to hundreds of OEM and DIY full range and satellite
speakers over the years I can think of exactly 2 that could not be equalled or
bettered by a commerical product for significantly less money.

On the other hand, subwoofers are where the most pay-off can be found for the
DIY dollar. Digital storage media has given up new generation recordings with
frequency content down to 6 Hz.

Yet, there are no commerical consumer subwoofer products with output below 15
Hz (even the one that claims 8 Hz doesn't have it). So this is THE place where
a DIY project can deliver performance unattainable from a commerical product.
It won't necessarily be inexpensive. For example my custom subwoofer, all the
electronics/transducers purchased at accomodation prices, still required nearly
$5000 in cash (not counting bartered labor).

It will deliver 120 dB+ SPL from 12 to 62 Hz @ 2 meters with less than 10%
distortion in a room and has response to 10 Hz at the 2 or 4-meter listening
positions. Working at these frequencies practically any hardened enthusiast
could do as well ..... but it's not inexpensive to better the best commerical
products.