tempus fugit

You're on the right track here - the 4 ohm sub will draw more current and
thus output more power, so all you need to do is make sure that the amp that
is driving it is capable of driving a 4 ohm load safely. You should be able
to find this out from the owner's manual, or maybe even the back of the amp.

"fone.freaky" wrote in message
I have an Atlantic Technology 262 PBM sub woofer in my home theater

speaker
setup. Its a sealed enclosure, powered 12 inch sub woofer rated at 150

watts
(I believe).

The factory woofer in it blew out recently, so I replaced it (temporarily)
with a 4 ohm Kicker C-12 car audio sub woofer I happen to have laying

around
from my car audio hay-days. Now, I know the internal amp and adjustable
cross over (of the sub woofer enclosure) is obviously tuned and rated for
the original 8 ohm driver. And as I recall the lower the ohm rating of a
speaker the more power it pulls? ??? (I seem to remember something about
this when I was younger and more into car audio- when amps were rated at

500
watts @ 1 ohm ---- that kind of thing)

ANYWAY: The box sounds ok with the Kicker C12 4ohm driver installed now,

it
does sound more bass'ey to me, but the sub has been blown out for several
days and of course I'm being EXTREMELY critiqueful of it right now, so it
may be in my mind (or ears as it were)

Bottom line: What are the ups and downs of replacing a home theater 8 ohm
sub woofer with a car audio 4 ohm sub woofer ?

PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE!

Thanks in advance.
-Toaster

(remove the -NOSPAM- to send any emails)