Pooh Bear

Default What Does "XLR" Mean? -- Official Answer

Richard Crowley wrote:

"J. Joyce" wrote ...
It is also interesting to note that ITT/Cannon no longer manufactures
the Cannon XLR connectors (or so I have heard).

Perhaps in the USA. But I still see what appear to be new
"ITT/Cannon Japan" connectors on audio and video equipment
from Sony (for example). The classic desgn with the rubber
insulator in the female variety.

Yup. Me too.

Some were made by Cannon Australia too.

I believe they sold the patent to Switchcraft.

If they did (which I kinda' doubt), it wasn't exclusive.
I recall a significant period when Cannon (and then ITT/
Cannon) were still selling XLRs even after Switchcraft
started selling their equivalent version.

For years and years and years. Another poster reminded me that Amphenol
made a version for a while too.

Beware of some cheap Asian copies of the Switchcraft style. I've seen some
where the pins 2 and 3 are incorrectly numbered !

OTOH, I concur that "XLR" was just an arbitrary part
number from Cannon. Any nmemonic or acronynomic
associations were invented after the fact by users out
in the field and had nothing to do with the original
name/numbers.

X connector with Latch and Resilient rubber insert. Predated by the XL
which didn't have the rubber insert.

Graham