Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Stereophonic Realism - a Tautology

Audio_Empire wrote:

It's the "inside my head" part that bothers me. Not saying here that I
don't or can't listen to headphones , obviously, I do. When recording,
for instance, I have a pair of big, clumsy Koss Pro-4AAs clamped to my
head because they are the most isolating phones I know of next to a
pair of David Clark aviation phones, and they're (A) expensive, and
(B) monaural.
I listen to my HiFiMan HE-500s using my HiFiMan tubed headphone amp
as part of my stereo all the time. When editing recordings using
Audacity, I use my Stax with its tubed amp/polarizing driver (don't
use them on my stereo because the cord isn't long enough and I can't
get an extension from Stax any more)

A_E

I have often wondered how those noise cancelling headphones would work for a
recording engineer wanting to isolate from the live sound and hear what is
going into the recorder more clearly. I would be a little afraid that you
might hear a mix of the two, rather than just the pure electrical signal.

Anyone ever try it?

Gary Eickmeier