zinalias zinalias is offline
Junior Member

Location: Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Magennis View Post
"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a MOTU firewire audio interface the the owner says he plugged the
firewire cable into the wrong way round. It now does not communicate
with the computer.

Is it possible/likely to damage the interface circuitry this way?

Cheers

Gareth.

Yes. Even if it doesn't seat, it's fairly common to get some intermittent
contact of the power bus with signal, and this blows out the PHY chip.

Send it to MOTU.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Thanks to all.

Have changed the Interface IC now and everything is working again. Quite a
tricky 64 pin flatpack surface mount jobby. Not for the feint hearted.

Sheesh, I need a cup of tea now.

Gareth.
Hi, im new here, im happy to find this post since is an interesting one to me cause i have a MOTU 828mkii interface with the same problem, dead firewire connection, so i wonder if you (Gareth) could tell me where did you find the firewire replacement and if you change it your self or send it to someone else.

Since im in Mexico its kind of expensive for me to repair it directly with MOTU cause i need to send it to the local dealer (wich is in the capital) and then they send it to USA and back the same way, and it ends up costing me almost $300 dls. so i'll appreciate if you can help me with this one.

For those wondering how could you connect the firewire cable upsidedown, i know its almost impossible but the input of the computer was a little weird, its not the most common one that are from the surface to the inside of the unit, this was a little prominent to the outside with a couple of metal sheets that embrace the firewire cable, and this are the ones that failed apart and let the cable in backwards.

A Hundred anticipaded Thanks to every one, and have a good time