Posted to rec.audio.tech
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Firewire connection damage

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
Gareth Magennis wrote:
Hi,

I have a MOTU firewire audio interface the the owner says he plugged the
firewire cable into the wrong way round. It now does not communicate
with the computer.

Is it possible/likely to damage the interface circuitry this way?

Cheers

Gareth.

You could certainly do mechanical damage, but you would have to push hard.
Firewire doesn't otherwise let you plug things in the wrong way round.

I think this guy is a drummer He seems to think that even though he
didn't think he would be able to, he did actually get it in the wrong way
round. I was wondering if the design included protection from this kind of
event or whether it does permanent damage.

Looking at the connections
http://www.storageweb.co.uk/hdd/inst...ut.htmswapping it around puts 30 volts on TPA. Just wondering if the interfacechip has onboard protection against this.Looking at the PCB, the firewire connectors go straight to the chip pins.Gareth.