Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Question: Impedance matching: adapter for onnecting 8 ohm headphones to modern MP3 player

"Good Music" wrote in message
m...

Don't even bother. Many headphones claiming to be 8 ohms aren't anyway !

Just connect it and see if it sounds ok. You won't hurt anything and in
any case
a new pair of headphones will be the cheapest and best option if you're
not
happy with the results anyway.

Thanks Graham, but I'm actually pretty intent on finding a way to
specifically use this specific old set of 8-ohm headphones,

I guess someone needs to reiterate Graham's advice: Try it before you raise
a giant dust cloud trying to fix a problem that may not be there.

The headphones may not actually be 8 ohms, since 8 ohms is a very common
nominal figure. Just about every headphone and speaker that is rated at 8
ohms isn't exactly 8 ohms. Most miss 8 ohms by a mile or two.

Your source may not be problematical at all if the moon were blue and the
headphones were actually 8 ohms.

though I don't want to "short out" my expensive MP3 player's amp.

8 ohms isn't excatly a short for a headphone amp. Headphone amps are
generally designed to handle shorts without being damaged.

The reason is these were my grandad's headphones - I just like them and
am set on using them, whatever kind of adapter I have to make :-)

First try the simplist solution of all - see how they work in real life.