Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default This Group is sadly borring....

Oh, and just to add, I am certainly not the only one who feels this way.
Mr. Lull, for instance, has perhaps been the most consistently helpful
member of this fraternity. Even when I feel like I've had enough of the
bull****, and have to give this group a rest for several months (because I
fear I will throw my monitor out the window), Lull keeps plugging away,
helping all those in need. For that I applaud him because I fear my skin is
a bit too thin for the insults and hate and I just have to excuse myself for
a period of time now and then.

So for all of you who still try to always help the best you can, I salute
you.

Another thing that just came to mind that also may be the cause of very
little activity is the incredible amount of SPAM we started getting a couple
years ago. You have to wade through all this BS to find an actual question
or someone in need. I know this now happens in almost all newsgroups and it
is a shame. Again, it represents yet ANOTHER difference between this group
now and this group 10-15 years ago. It may confuse noobs as it appears
there are about 30 times the SPAM posts as there are actual car audio
related posts. If I came to this group for the first time and all I saw
were SPAM posts, again I would likely seek my answer somewhere else. Don't
think anything can be done about it, short of creating a new MODERATED, car
audio group. I have flirted with this idea but I fear I wouldn't have the
time to moderate it. Lull, what about you? Just a thought because RAC is
dying a quick death.

MOSFET

"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
I know EXACTLY who you are refferring to. You know, he tried to sell my car
once (I kid you not, if you've been on this group for a several years you
might remember this), by getting many of the details about my car from
Cardomain and then listing it on an on-line car sales site (this was after
a particularly nasty flame exchange). The ONLY reason I found out about it
is because I started getting these strange Emails asking details (miliage,
condition, price offers, and so on) about my car. Naturally I reported
this (and all supporting evidence, which wasn't hard as the on-line car
sales site had the evidence of who had listed it) to his IP and then he
MYSTERIOUSLY disapeared for three months, hmmmm.......

But in the interest of not starting yet ANOTHER flame war, I will not name
names, but if you are reading this, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

You know, I truly and sincerely HOPE this group didn't die because of
flame throwers. However, I have had enough knock down, drag out flame
wars with these guys that your theory could very well be true. And it
always seemed like our flame wars revolved around, or boiled down to, the
notion that the only way to keep this group alive and healthy is to NOT
scare away the noobs.

And the quickest way to scare away the noobs is for them to come to this
group and find about six flame wars in full swing with the natural gas
turned up to the max.

I mean, geez, would I want to post anythign here if I were a noob? Hell,
no! I would go find my answer somewhere else. There were certainly times
this group should have been called "rec.flame-wars.car".

I REALLY hope that's not the reason for the apparent death of this group,
but I fear you may be on to something.

I always hoped this would be a friendly, inviting collection of folks who
shared a passion for car audio and a TRUE desire to help people, always
willing to offer good advice to anyone who asked, no matter how simple or
repetitious the question seemed to be.

I am only one person put, for what it's worth, at least I will try to live
up to this creed.

MOSFET

"Helen Weed" wrote in message
MOSFET wrote:
Come on guys! This not the RAC I knew and loved 15 years ago.

Anyway, I felt like ranting. Hell, nothing else was happening, right?

Anyway, it's a little sad. I saw it happening 10 years ago with the
death of IASCA. I knew even WAY BACK THEN times, they were a changin'.

MOSFET
Ian D. Bjorhovde

It could be that there are so many egocentric individuals here, ready to
pounce on people and ridicule them for asking questions that might seem
silly to some. People that think they know everything and seem to just
live for the opportunity to laugh at others.

So, Ian, have any idea WHO I might be referring to?