Posted to rec.audio.tech
finalcut

Default Tascam US122 USB audio/midi interface

Thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and got it. I had some problems
getting decent levels on the XLR inputs as you had mentioned. I had to
amplify all the waves 500% after the fact just to get decent levels and I
was pricing preamps when I went to record today and now the levels are fine.
Weird.

~S~

"stern" wrote in message
oups.com...
It's a reliable and durable little device, and operates very
intuitively. Compared to some of the M-audio and pro-tools hardware
interfaces out there, the user interface is intuitive and operates
well. And it powers itself off the USB, so you don't have to much with
a power adapter -- very handy and means that you can record in a middle
of a field with your laptop, if you want to.

The downside is that for some applications, you may need an external
preamp to get decent levels on the XLR inputs, but not always. And
it's my impression that the sound I get through the same pair of
microphones compared to running them through some mid-quality PreSonus
preamps into a Digi002 isn't as good with the Tascam. But it's only
$200, so that's to be expected.

I find it's very handy for small, mobile gigs and has been quite
reliable. I'm glad I have it.