Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] aph@littlepinkcloud.invalid is offline

Default is PWM properly analog?

Justin Mathews wrote:

Firstly -- I discovered this group after looking up a thread about
the "Analog Compact Disc" from 1995. Incredibly, there are
participats on that thread that appear to be *still* post here.

I too have been bitten by the "better analog" bug, fascinated by
Laserdiscs, CED and other potential improvements on vinyl.

I don't hate digital music at all. I work in production, mixing and
mastering music and I understand its utility. But as a musician I do
notice that something sometimes seems to be lost in A/D.

I'm aware Laserdiscs used some form of pulse width modulation to
render analog audio.

Yes, sometimes, but LaserDiscs got PCM digital audio in 1985.

Is PWM a real continuous signal?

I think you're mixing up two different things. PWM is analog, but it
is not continuous: these are different things. The trouble with PWM
audio is that it's not an efficient way of storing a high-quality
signal.

Is it still a fool's errand to hold out for a high resolution analog
format? The vinyl resurgence could generate more interest. I know my
peers are waiting.

There are several high-resolution audio formats, but none of them ever
became popular. I doubt that we're going to see any more.

Andrew.