Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default B+ rectifier question

On Dec 15, 12:10 pm, "Ian Iveson"
wrote:

The situation is no less complicated than I wrote. You may
believe that the complications don't matter, and Edward may
not care.

Um... um...

But, most of the parameters are already given by the nature of the
beast in question - single-element selenium diode(s), in a McIntosh
C22 pre-amp.

So, the application is low-current, single-element diodes. Wattage on
the resistor will be 2W or less, thereabouts. I would counsel a 5-
watter as they are certainly cheap enough for the insurance. And 10
ohms/element by l-o-n-g experience in low-current applications of this
nature (lots-O-vintage radios have selenium diodes in various
applications as well as a fair amount of vintage audio stuff) if
straight-up voltage-drop replacement is required. Beyond that, one
must experiment (or, Heaven forfend!! *Calculate*) the additional or
lower/none resistance wished.

Were this a piece of unknown antecedents, brand or application, I
would not have been so glib.

Sometimes, a Cigar is just a Cigar.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA