dwgriffi

Default Aphex Comps - Which are the good ones?

In article ,
(ScotFraser) wrote:

I have some Expressors here. A string bass player brought over his Jim
Williams modded Expressor & we compared the same passage through each.

Y'know, the Jim Williams mod is weird to me, in the sense that it makes it
slightly more hi-fi and/or high quality, as you imply, but that to me isn't the
shortcoming of the unit (not that it's so hi-fi). I've got a pair (well, in
the closet) The first compressors that I actually went out and bought a pair
of, as opposed to using what belonged to the studio (probably the best buy in an
inexpensive quality pair at the time), and while their lack of coloration makes
them good for that role, I always had the feeling that if someone would mod them
to give them some real personality they could make some dough. Now that we all
record to disk and use plug-ins to keep levels safe once inside, who among us
could not use another box to make the sound bloom before it hits the platters??
I know you can't turn it into a Distressor with a few extra parts, but I'd pay
for someone to turn it into something that barks instead of acts transparently.

I know JW does a bunch of other improvements to it (power supply, etc) and it's
a quality mod, but Jim's thing seems to be to clean things up, which isn't what
I'd want out of an Aphex Expressor mod.

Anyone know of someone who mods them into not-transparent, beefy squashers?

--
Raindances always worked because they didn't stop dancing until it rained.

To reply, please remove the 555 from the return address