Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default 0dBFS+ Levels in Digital Mastering

On 13/10/2015 10:48 a.m., Mike Rivers wrote:
On 10/12/2015 11:22 AM, Randy Yates wrote:
The real solution, and it's sort of there but nobody implements it, is
to encode some information about the loudness of the track and have
the playback system adjust the level using that information and your
listening preferences.

Didn't (or doesn't) Dolby have a system / standard that does just that
for the movie/pro audio market?

I was thinking about Dialnorm, but it's a movie thing that nobody
calibrates the decoder correctly. I'm not aware of any home/consumer
system that implements it. I think that there may be some reluctance
on the part of consumers to have their playback system told to turn
the volume up on this song and turn it down on that one.

My car iPod Touch has a automatic replay level function based on (I
think) a peak-level parameter encoded into the file.

When it works on a particularly 'different level' track there seems to
be a second-long level adjustment at the commencement of a song, which
is a pain. But not as much of a pain as having to reach for the knob
(car stereo) nearly *every* song while driving when playing a random
mix of material.

geoff