Posted to rec.audio.pro
Randy Yates[_2_] Randy Yates[_2_] is offline

Default 0dBFS+ Levels in Digital Mastering

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

Randy Yates wrote:
Mike Rivers writes:
[...]
The real solution, and it's sort of there but nobody implements it, is
to encode some information about the loudness of the track and have
the playback system adjust the level using that information and your
listening preferences.

Didn't (or doesn't) Dolby have a system / standard that does just that
for the movie/pro audio market?

Yes, that would be the DIALNORM field in the Dolby AC-3 bitstream.

The MP3 files have a similar thing, but of course it's heavily abused
and invariably set to maximum.

No, it was something much more extensive than a field in AC-3. I think
it was/is "Dolby Volume," but I can't even remember where I found out
about this:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolog...by-volume.html

--
Randy Yates