Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default Blind Cable Test at CES

On Jan 31, 7:31*am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Oliver Costich" wrote in
messagenews:m5u2q3l7obe0e5hjn0jksfnvv8pdno4ppa@4ax .com

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:49:47 -0800 (PST), "Shhhh! I'm
Listening to Reason!" wrote:

On Jan 30, 10:48 am, Oliver Costich

On Jan 28, 10:55 pm, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:
On Jan 28, 11:50 pm, "ScottW"
wrote:

Actually, while Arny might be willing to argue
preference at times... the real issue of DBTs is
audibility.
Sure it is. As I've always said, researchers and
factories should do them.
What about equipment reviewers? Aren't they doing a
bit of comparative research? I think that would be a
value added and a significant credibility enhancer.

You have this odd situation where thousands of people base their purchase
decisions on articles written by these high end reviewers, and yet the
reviewers and publishers want to hide behind the fact that these articles
are just one man's opinion.

Hiding? Why, I'm sure they're cowering in fear! GOIA is on the case!

Only in so far as they provide measurements. The rest
of the review is one man's opinion, like a movie
review. It's entertainment, not research.

In the opinons of many, it is a flim-flam act, designed to sell equipment
for premium prices based on premium performance that is just an illusion.

People still send money to televangelists in buckets, GOIA, and far
more than all of the high-end audio segment grosses in its entirety.
Does this bother you? Are you on any religious groups decrying the
"flim-flam"?

Some here are not able to see that distinction. They
like to whine about how "dishonest" and "lacking
integrity" those equipment reviewers are because they do
not to the DBTs that some here demand.

Nice trashing of the truth. The desire for DBTs is more than just idle
demands, it is something that has been put into action on many occasiions.
A recent example of this is a JAES article that shows that major so-called
technological advances including DVD-A and SACD simply have no reliably
perceptible benefits.

Was this done by researchers? Factories? Or just somebody interested
in performing the tests?

DBTs have a place, GOIA. It just isn't at the average hobbyist level.

Compare and contrast that JAES article, scientific and peer-reviewed, to all
of the contrary opinion and pseudo-scientific testing that has been
published in the high end press.

If I was interested in that topic I would.

They may not be dishonest but they aren't worth much
either. You have to see it for yourself, like a movie.

Been there, done that.

Goody for you.