Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Why are vacuum tubes still used in audio amplifiers instead of solid-state transistor

On Sun, 8 May 2011 17:03:26 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Turner
wrote:

On May 9, 4:06*am, "Fred" wrote:
NX211 wrote:
On May 8, 7:32 am, John L Stewart John.L.Stewart.
wrote:
anterm;930852 Wrote:

Some audiophiles say that the sound quality in vacuum tubes is
better, but I fail to see why, especially since vacuum tube
electronics is an older technology

Same odd reason some people prefer to ride a horse now & then! Not
difficult to come up with many other examples.

John

--
John L Stewart

Any good audio engineer can make a transistor sound like a tube but
one thing they can't do is make a transistor glow like a tube. *That
my friend is the answer.

Actually, it's easier to make a transistor glow like a tube than to make one sound like a tube.

Fred- Hide quoted text -

NO. I never been able to make a transistor glow. But they can easily
make fuses blow, after they have failed to become a sullen dull
useless bit of junk which conducts like wire in both directions.

Patrick Turner.

Back in the 1970s when I was designing the first digital pagers, we
used a system called Molybdenum Gate Technology which would run off
2.5V. If you prised the lids off the chips, the FET drains would glow
when they conducted. You could actually follow what the logic of the
chip was doing this way.