Gary Vander Schel

"Wylie Williams" wrote in message
I know that many audiophiles believe that speakers need a period of
break-in
to sound their best, while others disagree.

This post is a request for those who believe in speaker break-in to
provide
advice, and it is also request that those who disagree allow those of us
they believe to be mistaken to continue in the error of our ways without
comment.

I am breaking in a pair of Gallo Reference III speakers in my garage on 24
hour/day FM music, which I plan to stop at 120 hours. I do this on the
advice of Gallo, and am told by Gallo that more power the better, as they
personally believe in break-in, and several reports they have received say
that for these speakers there is a definite break-in point that must be
reached for best quality. They further recommend using high power for
best
results. My problem is that once I bring these into my living room I will
not be able to give them high power very often, as I have a wife who will
be
disturbed by the noise. I wish to find the best way to continue the
break-in
these speakers a few hours at a time.

While I have hard the general statement that break-in if desirable, I
haven't seen anything specific onwhat to play and how loud. It would be
easy to put a CD on repeat on occasion when we go out. I wonder if anyone
has experience with the best signals to play through speakers for break
in.
Music? What sort? Test CDs? Which CDs? Which tracks?

Wylie Williams
Saint Louis Missouri

Stereophile's Test CD 3, track 20. You may want to keep your amplifier's
output below clipping levels...