John Andreen

Default Directed Amplifiers

Just to let you know

2N6488 and 2N6491 devices are not FETS or MOSFETS they are BJT's. MOSFETS
are used in power supplies as they are easier to control for high current
switching and BJT's are used in output sections mostly due to PNP/NPN
complementary pair parameter symmetry. It is also said that BJT's make for
"smoother" sound than MOSFET's. Both PPI and Orion used these devices
early on and possibly currently. They are good devices. Rated at 80V@15A
( not continuous ). They were once equally well at home in the power
supply section as well as output sections as long as the rail voltages of
the outputs were less than +/-40V. Fairchild makes good stuff, but the
internal die size of many of their devices is smaller than their
counterparts. Means, they are not as good at handling overstress.

JA

golds wrote:

Here's another guy popping out of the woodwork.

I've been reparing Orion PPI and A/D/S/ amplifiers for over 10 years
as a hobby. It is not a conicidence that these amplifiers are almost
exactly designed the same from a circuitry standpoint. All 3 use the
same output fets which are Motorola Semiconductor (2N6488 and 2N6491)
(M) and either Fairchild or International Semiconductor on the power
supplies. (F) (I~R). All cream of the crop as far as High Tolerance
Mosfets, Fets, or Jfets.

If I had to pick out the best amplifier that was ever made by the
ADST family of companies, it would be the GX line from Orion by far.
Ultra simplistic and fuctionallity that some of you may not realize.
The top dog GX line, the 2350gx and 4100gx, are actually 2
amplifiers in 1 chassis. The 2350gx actually has the 400BDG module
right inside. In this case its called the Input BD, which takes a
single input channel (R+L) and splits into 2 channels, and inverting
(180 degree phase) 1 side to each of the two amplifiers in the
chassis.

"John Spagnolo MMXpress.com" wrote in message
but to that "n00b", Old One Eye ...

Yeah, where the heck did THAT guy come from?
People just be poppin out the woodwork.

--
John Spagnolo - teamROCS #016
Multi Media Xpress Car Audio www.mmxpress.com

"John Durbin" wrote in message
I agree with the "done" part, but my comments below were directed not
to you but to that "n00b", Old One Eye ...

JD

Captain Howdy wrote:

John it doesn't matter what the new Precision Power amps look like, I
was

just
trying to point out that the early Precision Power amps looked too
much

like
the Orion GX line. Now we both know the real reason why. Done, end of

story.

In article , John Durbin
wrote:

I'd be looking for a discussion on what the new Precision Power amps
look like, myself ...

JD