John Durbin

Default Directed Amplifiers

It's always been amazing to me how much variety, creativity, and
ingenuity is scattered through the history of car audio by the people
that started in that one "little" part of the country. Quite a cauldron
of invention...

JD

John Andreen wrote:

You are making assumptions that are in fact not in evidence. I know, I was
there at just about the beginning. Or, I have long friendships with those
who were there at the beginning of PPI. Those very same people that you
say became PPI from ORION also were from OHM TECH that did Rockford-Fosgate
shop work. By your way of thinking, PPI should also look like RF
amplifiers. Or failing that you must also believe that ORION "knocked-off"
RF amplifiers of that era. And they did. Square with Fins. You should
check your dimensions more carefully and read what I said. The Internals
of a PPI amplifier were nothing like that of an ORION...NOTHING AT ALL!
They did start completely fresh. In fact, the Mechanical Engineer at Orion
stayed at ORION and PPI hired a new person as their ME. I believe that
only one Audio Engineer that was Originally at OHM TECH left ORION to work
at PPI. I know him very, very well and he would tell you that the
amplifiers were quite dissimilar. Different Power Supply, different output
section, etc. Yeah, the outsides "looked" similar, square with fins.

You somehow seem to believe that all that were at ORION were cleft in two
and became 2 exact copies. One to stay behind at ORION and one to leave to
form PPI. That is not the case. It took some time for PPI to make new
contacts, and to find sources of raw materials, recruit employees, etc.

On another note, had PPI stolen from ORION any intellectual property, then
they would have been sued into oblivion by ORION. Remember, ORION had
about a 2 year head start. They had capital and profits. Why did they not
get sued by ORION? It was because they were completely different. GET IT!
PPI was in business for 17 years before going into decline. That says
something.

John Andreen

Captain Howdy wrote:

This would explain why early PPI amplifiers looked like Orion GX knock
offs, as I have stated. Since these were the same people that created
Orion to begin with, when they left Orion and started PPI, I highly doubt
that they trashed every bit of knowledge they had and agreed on and
started totally fresh at
PPI. They were more then likely buying parts from the same suppliers
along with their extrusion dies and applying knowledge that they already
had from Orion. Bottom line is when you have Orion's people building
amplifiers, you get Orion amplifiers with changes that both sides could
not agree on as a single team, such as the fully regulated power supplies
as stated by John Andreen. Just how wrong was I by saying that early PPI
amplifiers looked like
Orion GX knock offs? As it turns out early PPI amplifiers were more of an
Orion knock off then I thought, which is totally fine now that I am aware
of the fact that they were made by the same people.