Captain Howdy

Default Directed Amplifiers

This would explain why early PPI amplifiers looked like Orion GX knock offs,
as I have stated. Since these were the same people that created Orion to begin
with, when they left Orion and started PPI, I highly doubt that they trashed
every bit of knowledge they had and agreed on and started totally fresh at
PPI. They were more then likely buying parts from the same suppliers along
with their extrusion dies and applying knowledge that they already had from
Orion. Bottom line is when you have Orion's people building amplifiers, you
get Orion amplifiers with changes that both sides could not agree on as a
single team, such as the fully regulated power supplies as stated by John
Andreen. Just how wrong was I by saying that early PPI amplifiers looked like
Orion GX knock offs? As it turns out early PPI amplifiers were more of an
Orion knock off then I thought, which is totally fine now that I am aware of
the fact that they were made by the same people.

I have gone back as far as I can remember and things kind of go like this.
A company called OHM TECH used to do contract board manufacturing for
Rockford Fosgate. After a period of time, these individuals at OHM TECH
saw an opportunity to make money by building their own product. This
handful of people started ORION. Time went by and several of the original
people had a falling out. They left and started Precision Power Inc. The
biggest differences were over topologies. Orion preferred fixed duty cycle
quasi-regulated power supplies. PPI preferred fully regulated PWM
regulation schemes, hence the name Precision Power. At this juncture, I am
pretty sure that only a handful of companies were using PWM. There was a
gigantic rift between ORION and PPI that only ended when PPI and ORION were
both under ADST roof. A little known factoid is that all ORION amplifiers
made up until the "Spock's Coffin" line had vestigial elements left over in
the Power supply section that are of little or no use in a MOSFET power
supply. In fact, these elements often have a substantial deleterious
effect on the amplifier. In short they can blow up just "because".