Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Value of KLH speakers?

On 8/26/2010 5:55 PM Eeyore spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 8/22/2010 4:53 AM Arny Krueger spake thus:

They were intended to be floor-standing, check the classic speaker
pages ads:

Yes, I know that; it's just that they'd probably sound better off the
floor

What makes you think that ?

Intuition.

Granted, I don't have the technical knowledge about audio that you and
others here do, so I'm not looking to start an argument here. It's just
that to me, it seems counterintuitive to place any speaker on the floor
and expect good results. I remember the advice given back in the 70s and
80s: get those speakers off the floor!

It seems to me (again, my untutored intuition) that while low
frequencies would project fine with a woofer placed close to the floor,
anything higher--say, 400 Hz up--would suffer from such placement.

Of course, much depends on many factors: the floor covering, room
geometry, etc., etc. Carpeted floors can't be good for *any* speakers.

I'm certainly willing to be proven wrong here. It just has never seemed
like a good idea to me to put speakers on the floor, and I was frankly
surprised to run across this specimen of KLH speaker which was obviously
designed for that very placement.