Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

Default Value of KLH speakers?

"Eeyore" m wrote in message
Bill Graham wrote:

"Eeyore" m wrote in
message ...
Arny Krueger wrote:

I hesitate to elevate speakers that were designed to be floor standers.

The lowest octave response of speakers is designed for aq certain space
that they work into. Some speakers are desgned for what is known as a
half-space, such as on a wall or in the middle of a floor. Others are
designed for a quarter-space such as the middle of a corner or near a
floor or a ceiling. A few speakers are designed for use in either a
full space - suspended in the middle of free space or an eigth-space
which would be in a corner at the floor or the ceiling. Using a
speaker in a space other than the one that it was properly designed can
reasonably be expected to produce incorrect bass response.

You hit the nail on the head, however I doubt that more than a tiny
fraction of users understand the 'space' issue, e.g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_space

Graham

I have a friend whose house if full of small speakers about 6 inches in
diameter....He's got at least two of them in every room. He has one huge
woofer that's hidden behind and below the TV in his living room.....I
think it may be bolted to the floor, because you can hear the whole house
shake if the music contains the lows to do it. It really made me re
evaluate my own thoughts on speakers....All you really need is one good
bolted down woofer, and all the other speakers can be small and
relatively cheap, and you get a fantastic sound system.

Not if you want to hear any stereo content in the bass region.

Graham

That is, (of course) true, but I don't think there IS much stereo content in
the bass region.....At least, I don't seem to hear any, so if it exists, it
is probably hard to hear.