Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore[_4_] Eeyore[_4_] is offline

Default Value of KLH speakers?

Bill Graham wrote:

"Eeyore" m wrote in
message ...
Arny Krueger wrote:

I hesitate to elevate speakers that were designed to be floor standers.

The lowest octave response of speakers is designed for aq certain
space that they work into. Some speakers are desgned for what is
known as a half-space, such as on a wall or in the middle of a floor.
Others are designed for a quarter-space such as the middle of a
corner or near a floor or a ceiling. A few speakers are designed for
use in either a full space - suspended in the middle of free space or
an eigth-space which would be in a corner at the floor or the
ceiling. Using a speaker in a space other than the one that it was
properly designed can reasonably be expected to produce incorrect
bass response.

You hit the nail on the head, however I doubt that more than a tiny
fraction of users understand the 'space' issue, e.g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_space

Graham

I have a friend whose house if full of small speakers about 6 inches in
diameter....He's got at least two of them in every room. He has one huge
woofer that's hidden behind and below the TV in his living room.....I
think it may be bolted to the floor, because you can hear the whole
house shake if the music contains the lows to do it. It really made me
re evaluate my own thoughts on speakers....All you really need is one
good bolted down woofer, and all the other speakers can be small and
relatively cheap, and you get a fantastic sound system.

Not if you want to hear any stereo content in the bass region.

Graham