Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default Oh man I'm borred.......

Of course I remember "mfreak". How's it hanging?

Yes, when I first got heavily into car audio when I was 18-19 and had my
first subwoofer and outboard amp put in (a Fosgate Punch 75 amp and a 12"
Punch sub in ported box), I have to admitt I had my foolish moments as I
finally possed one of "THOSE CARS" that could be heard and felt a block or
two away. I have ALWAYS been into bass, however. In one of my threads I
recount the story of how when I entered high-school the music department
(which I was a part of, I played tennor sax) had a very old Ampeg bass
amplifier that did not work. It was a huge and heavy affair with two 15"
drivers in the speaker cabinet and then it had a seperate tube "head" that
sat on top. It was about 5 feet high. Anyway, I convinced my band
instructor who I had befriended to let me take it home and try to fix it.
It turns out it just needed three new fuses and it worked fine again. Did I
immediately give it back to the school? NO FRIKKIN' WAY!!!!!

I used it as a subwoofer in my elaborate stereo in my room: I had a Technics
turntable, Technics cassette deck with Dolby B, C and the new DBX, which
actually worked AMAZINGLY well, you just could only play a tape recorded
with DBX on a DBX enabled cassette deck, But on a metal tape, I remember
recording CD's with DBX on a metal tape and then playing the original on the
CDplayer; A/B' ing it and I SWEAR TO GOD you could not hear any difference.
I had a Radio Shack 12 band EQ, Pioneer reciever, and then an Akki
real-to-real deck which made AMAZING quality recordings of course. Of
course every SINGLE component was that brushed aluminum color fashionable in
the early and middle 80's, and late seventies.

Anyhoo, that Ampeg amp CRANKED out the bass like you would not believe. My
friends used to tell me they could hear my music 9 blocks away with my
window open in my room when I REALLY had it going.

So my love of bass started early, even before this I used to DJ the dances
in middle school, now were talking late 70's, and we used a pair of
Realistic Mach One speakers as our school dance speakers and a powerful
amplifier and outboard turntables and a cassette deck. When prepping
before the dance my friends and I would have this system in our much smaller
classroom (as opposed to the gym where the dance was held) and after school
we would put on bass heavy music and just crank the hell out of it. I would
have to say that was my first taste of what I consider VERY low, VERY loud
bass. And a love affair was born.....

Anyway, so I, like you, was more reckless in my youth and, like you, I have
NO DOUBT it cost me the breaking in of my car and sometimes all of my system
was stolen, sometimes just a couple of pieces, this happened at least three
times in a five year period. I had an alarm put in but inevitably, now and
then, would forget to engage it. If you don't care about bothering your
neighbors, at least take heed in my warning that theives are everywhere and
a loud, booming system is like the ice cream man to a 7 year old.

MOSFET
"suprstar" wrote in message
I was going by 'mfreak' back then, but I wasn't a huge poster.. I
answered some newbie q's here and there, like how to wire up subs to
different impedances or whatever.. I never had a huge elaborate
system, (well I guess it depends who you ask :P ) No eq, the only
crossovers I have are the ones on the amps, no caps, no flashy
install.. Just a sub box in the trunk with a couple amps bolted to
it, and flop the back seats down.. I always had aftermarket speakers
in the 4 corners, the stock speakers would never take the power. I
like my music, I like it loud, and I try to be respectful in
neighborhoods etc, but yeah, even quiet bass travels pretty far. In
the old days I was obnoxious and stupid, everyone heard me coming and
going everywhere. Which means everyone knew I had a system. Which
means I got broken into a lot, and got 2 complete 2x12 dual amp
systems stolen. The junkyard guy knew me cuz I kept coming back to
get windows for whatever I was driving at the time. I got real good
at replacing glass.....

I've been into car audio since I ever had a car. My first car was an
83 ford ranger with an AM radio and one speaker! I took apart the dash
and re-wired some cheap HU and 6x9's in auto shop in high school, like
every day! I eventually got an mtx terminator 12 and god knows what
pos amp, and it's been snowballing since. I bought and sold tons of
amps and subs on ebay, just to try everything out. I lost a few
bucks every time, I considered it paying for the experience. ppi, rf,
kicker, alpine, mtx, pg, jbl, boston acoustics, you name it. I pushed
my feedback into the hundreds just doing that. Anyway, it kinda
plateau'ed off 10-15 years ago, it's as loud and bassy as I care for
now, no need to go any bigger. The sq is acceptable, I wouldn't mind
pushing it, but I can't really justify the expense.. I'd pay a lot to
get a little bit more, and I'm happy where I am now, I haven't bought
a new piece of car audio gear in years. Plus I have other more
expensive hobbies now. Ie recording and production, I have a fairly
decked out recording studio in my basement. I'm a metal head, I play
in bands, got tons of instruments, mics, acoustic treatment, anything
a typical rock band would need to play or record. I spend more time
and $ on that lately than anything else.

I had some Alpine R's once, 5x7's in the front doors of my mazda.
Someone told me the doors took 5x7's, but they took 6x8's. The 5x7's
fit tho, so whatever.. I wasn't blown away by them or anything, they
worked tho. I had em crossed over at 110 (per the dial on the amp)
and really pushed em really hard. I blew one of them and got a new
pair of pioneers that the install shop was talking up, they were
bigger, took more power, and cheaper. I didn't transplant those to my
next car. Actually, the only inside speakers I ever DID transplant
was a pair of infinity 63.3i's. I was broke and heard everyone
talking em up, I was drooling over those for months before I finally
got em. At first I thought they were VERY bright and harsh sounding,
I was kinda ****ed and suprised. IDK if they broke in, or I finally
got the crossovers/eq set right, but I eventually liked em a lot.

Oh well, g2g, I'm sposed to be working :P