Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default EV Patrician

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Impressive in the day, by modern standards it is a
peanut-whistle. Couldn't take much power, and had
virtually no linear stroke at all.

60W continuous IIRC.

That's what I remember.

Of course, power amps with more than 60 watts were very rare in the days

of
tubes.

Exactly, It's not the power handling that was important, it's the max
undistorted SPL, and many of those speakers would leave the now common mini
box speakers
for dead.

I have a number of friends who used 30W woofers in the day, some of whom
still have working examples to this day. A good modern 10" driver could
out-displace a 30 W. In the day, even EV's later SP-12s were more
practical.

Sure, as amplifiers got bigger, speakers got smaller, which suited more
people and rooms.

Materials sciences of those days, particularly glues and insulation, were
hardly what they are today.

So true, but some of those speakers weren't bad considering. The Patrician
wouldn't have been my choice personally, but I'd still have a Tannoy GRF or
JBL Hartsfield :-)

MrT.