Paul Vina

Default VW's Monsoon Radios

Right, but the powered antenna adapter needs to get it's power from somewhere. That somewhere is the new radio's amp turn on lead or antenna lead. Some HUs have an antenna/amp lead that is on all the time and that will work with no problems. Mine and my wife's Pioneers have an antenna/amp turn on lead and we both get excellent reception. I made sure to mention it because I've known people that got the unpowered antenna adapter and they were ****ed when their reception sucked.

Paul Vina

"username" wrote in message . net...
Never had that problem with mine and it is the monsoon system, and with the am never had that problem either. All I did was buy the powered VW Antenna adaptor. Works great. I didn't have to use any turn on wires, so. . . .
"Paul Vina" wrote in message news:V%Tgb.707024$Ho3.155878@sccrnsc03...
The premium radio is NOT the Monsoon system. If you think the car has the
Monsoon system just turn it on. If it has the Monsoon system then "Monsoon"
will be shown on the radio display. Either way adding a new radio is a
piece of cake using the Metra wiring harness and antenna adapter. You won't
need to worry about the Monsoon amp powering up since it will get it's turn
on signal from the antenna's turn on signal. You HAVE to connect the
radio's turn on lead or you won't get any AM. If your radio had an amp and
antenna turn on lead make sure you use the AMP lead or the speakers will
turn off when you listen to a cd.

Paul Vina

"Michael Beacom" wrote in message
Hi-

Thinking of buying a 2000 Jetta GLS or GLX, and I have a question about
the factory radio.

Is the premium radio called "Monsoon"? I have the idea from somewhere
that it uses powered speakers. Is this correct?

Can you add an after-market radio, to add, say mp3 playback? and how do
hook it up to the powered speakers? ie: do the powered speakers use
standard line levels and impedances?

And finally, what CD changers work with Monsoon?

Thanks for your help,

Cheers
Beaker