Chris Hornbeck

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 18:35:20 -0700, Bob Cain
wrote:

But for our purposes wouldn't it be a better model to
think of the relative motion as a separate thing, and
outside of the Tx and Rx soundfields?

I don't thing so because it is a general phenomenon and
where people have gotten into trouble with it is precisely
for thinking there is something intrinsically definitive
about constant motion and then erroneously applying that
simplified special case solution to the more general case.

I've just finally realized that you're after the general case.
Sorry, never was too bright. But I'll make it up to you by
sending you my spare copy of Beranek, 1954. If your address
of a year ago isn't good, let me know quick.

You'll appreciate it's complete non-mention of Doppler effect!

Yeah, this is the part that Scott calls reciprocity failure.
It's a photographer's pun, but it works.

Yeah, I like the intuitive feel it gives while at the same
time being accurate, which as we've just found out is not
true in general with intuition.

Makes life worthwhile.

Chris Hornbeck