Posted to rec.audio.car
atledreier atledreier is offline

Default Phoenix Gold X200.4 LOUD noise

Hi!

I recently installed my new X200.4 in my car. Ran 4awg positive from
the battery and a short 4awg ground ti the chassis. Hooked up my front
speakers, a 6,5" Dynabel 2-way system. Set the highpass to around
90Hz. Gain at it's lowest, of course. Fired it up, and all is fine,
but very low, of course. The X200 accept up to 8V line voltage, so no
surprise there. So i switch it off, raise the gain to about 1V
sensitivity, and fire it up again.

Still fine for normal volume, but anything 'loud' (around 90dB
average) spl, and the amp will produce a (what I believe is) full
level buzz until I switch the system off. This buzz is REALLY loud.
Switch off and back on and all is fine. This cannot be heat related, I
can play at the level just below the 'crash' level for hours, just a
few click on the knob and it will buzz, be it after 1 minute or 5
hours. Also thought maybe it was low voltage to the amp, but I have
12.3V with the engine off and 14,4 with the engine running, and the
'crash' level is the same either way. I have also tried swapping the
headunit, but the issue remains. The amp is isolated from the cassis
(sitting on the carpet) for now. I have tried different signal cables
as well.

I would believe if the speaker wires were shorting somewhere the amp
would cut out, not go into suicide mode, but I have not tried
different speakers yet. That is next on my list. After that I can't
think of anything but a faulty amp.

Any tips?