Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Question about Digital vs. Analog

On 11/02/2019 8:28 AM, James Price wrote:

I was under the impression that the primary difference is that overloading
the front end of the ADC would potentially produce digital hard clipping at
the output, that is assuming the amp sim's volume isn't set particularly low
and the input level is cranked high enough. For example, a 50 dB boost applied
to the input of an ADC vs. an analog amp. Both will clip, but my presumption
was that the ADC would produce digital hard clipping in the form of a square
waveform, whereas hard clipping in the analog amp would produce a waveform
that wasn't chopped.

That would depend on the ADC involved and/or the analogue circuitry
before it.

I've never thought of the idea of using an ADC itself as a fuzz box. Try
it, but don't expect it to apply to any other ADC in a effect box or
audio computer interface model other than the one you've tried.

Myself, I get more pleasure out of fiddling with a guitar amp itself,
even over fuzz-boxes/distortion-pedals/whatever.

geoff