Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default How does one go about selling a song?

On 7/23/2019 8:18 PM, Tobiah wrote:
If I were to write a 'song', and try to sell it, what form
would it take?Â* I'm familiar with the song books that one
finds in a music shop.Â* Some sort of reduction with chord
charts and lyrics etc.

When someone sells a song to a current popular artist, whatever
the genre, what does the artist get?Â* Is there sometimes a demo
recording to cement the intent?

You'd get a lawyer who would, after you've done all the paperwork, get
the song into the hands of a producer or artist's representative. A demo
is the usual means of submission, arranged and performed in a way that
the artist or producer would recognize that the song is a good fit.

There are agencies, Taxi is one example, who match songs with people who
are looking for them, but pitching a song to a particular artist out of
the blue is a very long shot unless you have a very well established
reputation with a publisher who knows who might be looking for a song
like yours.

Don't quit your day job.

Or you could put it on YouTube and hope it goes viral.