Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default The future of "high end" audio

On Monday, December 2, 2013 11:10:05 AM UTC-8, ScottW wrote:
On Monday, December 2, 2013 4:18:36 AM UTC-8, Scott wrote:
=20
=20
=20
=20

=20
My point is that as the qualitative difference between what you consi=

der decent and what's readily available shrinks....the number of audio enth=
usiasts who see value in that difference shrinks as well.=20
=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
Maybe. Yet we are having this discussion in the midst of a youth driven=

massive surge in sales of new vinyl.=20
=20
=20
=20
I've seen those entry level turntables offered up to youth at Frye's etc.=

I don't think that's a rush to high end.

Never meant to say it was a "rush" to high end. But it is bait. Don't sell =
them all short. We have all kinds of 20 somethings over at Hoffman.tv inqui=
ring about high end audio now that they have gotten into vinyl. Getting int=
o vinyl can be the first step. Clearly a lot of youth are there right now t=
aking what may be that first step.=20
=20
And this "massive surge" is only massive when measured as a percent incre=

ase.

Or when measured against the niche market known as high end audio.=20

=20
Vinyl bounced from a low of 1M up to 4.6M and remains much less than a fr=

action of a percent of the downloads.

If I were in the high end audio business I would see that as the pot of gol=
d at the end of the rainbow. That is where your future market lies.=20

=20
=20
=20
It's funny how each generation manages to grow up, grow older and more =

sophisticated and diverse in their tastes and interests. I really don't see=
Ipods as the downfall of high end audio.
=20
=20
=20
Nor do I except when "high end" is defined by the likes of Stereophile or=

AE.

How do they define it and how will Ipods be the end of that version of high=
end audio?

=20
IMO, personal music players can be an excellent source of music, arguably=

as good (and by that I mean it's strictly preference that separates them) =
as anything the classic and apparently in need of revival high end industry=
can offer.

we have already had that argument on this thread. No point in rehashing it.=
Of course my first point is I don't think there is any need of any revival=
.. From all appearances high end audio is alive and doing as well as ever.=
=20
=20
=20
=20
Some youngsters will look for more. It happens with every generation

=20
=20
=20
The question is it enough to sustain even a cottage industry?

When one looks at the state of the market now compared to 30 years ago I wo=
uld say all indicators say yes at least for the near future.=20