Steven Sullivan

Default Newbie question: system upgrade

Colin wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote in message news:jMIKa.25579$Fy6.7557@sccrnsc03...
Koopas Ly wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am fairly dissatified with my music system right now. While in
college, I put an DVD home theater system together ad-hoc, over time,
and I've come to the realization that it just doesn't sound right when
I listen to music (can you say "living in denial"?). I guess that the
DVD sound of things blowing up and the overwhelming bass covered up
the musical flaws. Here's what the system consists of:

-Harman Kardon AVR-35 receiver

I don't have a HK reciever, but I do own a HK power amp. What's wrong
with HK products? Just currious. Mine is the PA-5800 five channel
power amp. Are some of there products good and others not?

thanks.

BTW: if your looking for a nice DVD player that will do the DVD Audio
format, I just purchased the Panasonic RP-91. Very good sound!! I've
heard that panasonic is discontinuing them, so you might get a good
deal. I paid $650 Canadian for mine.

I've just been having an exchange of posts elsewhere with someone who owns
an RP-91. He reported that the player does not seem to be able to access
the DVD-V layer of DVD-A discs. Its default is to read DVD-As as DVD-A
and there's no way to change the default, even by using the 'group' button
to try to shuttle through the groups. I'd never heard of a DVD-A player
that was this badly designed and said so. But incredibly, this appears to
be the case, from research I've done into other posts by other owners.
None seems to have been able to find a way to access the DVD-V tracks.

If anyone *has* figured out a way to access the DVD-V stuff on DVD-A discs
using the RP-91, please let me know...I'll be happy to convey that
information to RP-91 owners on other forums.

A better choice, IMO, for a DVD-a player would be either the Pioneer
DV-45a. the Denon 2900, both of which also do SACD.

--
-S.