Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default 1/2 track tape played on a 1/4 track deck-What am I really getting?

"ansermetniac" wrote in message

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 20:34:32 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

ansermetniac wrote:

"Richard Crowley" wrote:
"ansermetniac" wrote ...
I just played a tape that I assumed was 1/4 track but
it turned out to be half track. It sounded well. But
I have seen the pictures of the specs for 1/4 track
and 1/2 track

What did I really get?

Nice Latin Big Band Jazz by Wilie Rodriguez and the
Gang on Cook. But side two was avant garde Jazz:-)

If it has a "side two" then it must be 1/2 track MONO?

If you take only the left channel, that will be a
nominal representation of what the 1/2 track width
actually sounds like. As you may have already
discovered, the right channel will likely track part
of the "other side" and should be ignored.

Note that if you have some sort of serious project in
mind, then you should really play it on a proper head.

Side two was a joke. It was playing backwards.It is
half track stereo. Why did it play well on a 1/4 track
deck?

Because the 1/4 track heads lie where the 2 1/2 track
recordings are on the tape. They just get half the flux.

And how much of the music

All of the frequencies, but there is a slight and usually inconsequential
loss of dynamic range.