Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default 1/2 track tape played on a 1/4 track deck-What am I really getting?

In article ,
Richard Crowley wrote:

Of course there are 1/2-track stereo tapes. I have recorded
hundreds of hours of them. It is still a popular format for "mastering'
among the die-hard fans of magnetic tape recording.

But if the OP is hearing "avant garde jazz" on the right channel
of his 1/4 track head (and *backwards*) then he has a 1/2-track
mono tape with one program on each "side". He can flip the tape
over and hear his avant garde jazz recording in his left (mono)
channel.

My reading of his post, is that he was being a bit sardonic... the
"avant garde jazz" he was referring to, when he flipped the tape over,
was the actual jazz program played backwards.

If so, then his posting might deserve a few points of penalty for not
having the obligatory smiley in it :-)

--
Dave Platt AE6EO